Skip to content

US Expats Living in Canada

Get Started

Tax Guide for US Expats Living in Canada

US expat in Canada

The Canadian Tax System

The equivalent of the US Internal Revenue Service in Canada is the Canada Revenue Agency which collects the taxes in Canada. Both the provincial/territorial and the federal government levy income taxes and sales taxes (also called consumption taxes). There are three levels of government - territorial and provincial, municipal, and federal. 

Income Tax Return in Canada

The tax system in Canada is unique in many aspects, and as a resident in Canada, you must pay the taxes on the worldwide income you earned within a year. You also must file the tax return with the government. The income can be of any form such as retirement income, commission income, investment income, employment income. It is vital to pay the taxes on your income at both the provincial/territorial level and the federal level.

Read More