Skip to content

US Expats Living in United Kingdom

Get Started

Tax Guide for Americans in the UK

Tax Guide for Americans in the UK

The United Kingdom Tax System

The equivalent of the US Internal Revenue Service in the United Kingdom is the Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs office (HMRC). This office is the main collector of revenue for the UK government. They administer some regulatory processes (e.g., minimum wage), collect taxes, and pay some welfare.

The UK tax period is different from the US tax year. In the UK, it is the 6th of April through the 5th of April. Your UK tax return is required to be filed by January 31st of the year following the end of the tax year if you electronically file your return. If the tax return is paper filed, it must be completed and filed by October 31st following the end of the tax year. There is no automatic extension available to file your UK tax return, but the HMRC may remove the late filing penalty if you satisfy certain conditions. The HMRC considers each case individually.

Read More